Thursday, April 28, 2016

Cake

(please click on the link above for video)

In this performance I sat at a desk with a cake, I flipped the cake over and as soon as I touched the cake Benjamin starts screaming. It required endurance and focus. I gagged a couple of times. I hate chocolate cake, especially the 69 cent kind at Gary's local grocery. In the link below, we re shot each part of the performance individually, it was a very different experience. The cake resembled s**t. I liked the white frosting, I thought slamming down a spoonful atop the mangled mess would be a good concluding action. If I were to do this again I would use a bigger cake. I would also try and swallow the cake and have the performance go on longer. I would also allow myself to vomit if I were to gag again.



(please click on the lik above for video)

The video edit of this was a very different, as mentioned above. Benjamin was not screaming at me as I was shoving my face with cake. That absence of urgency, stress, tension made a whole new atmosphere. I also strongly believe that the shock of the audience is a key element to the performance, their energy was a huge component. 

Enjoy Cake~

1 comment:

  1. Good reflection on your work, Lily. The video has no where near the intensity of your live performance. Lots of reason for that of course. Plus having Benjamin's face in this video and the fact he is lip syncing the screaming really makes it less real. The music sets us up for something but not sure it works for what you are doing. Think about your intention -- what do you want the audience to feel or think about?

    ReplyDelete